MAD Mumblings MAD Mumblings
Extending MAD Magazine's presence on the World Wide Web.

Home :: Forum :: Gallery :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register

Recycled jokes in Mad?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hadley
MAD Reader

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Recycled jokes in Mad? Reply with quote

Are there any notable examples of jokes being reused in Mad? For example, in the 70s there was a Lighter Side strip where a son accidently swore at his mother. Trying to defuse the situation the son pointed out many respected Authors who used "that word". The mother then said "I dont care! In fact, i forbid you from hanging out with those people anymore!". Many years later in around 1990 i believe the exact same joke was used, only this time it was the names of famous comedians.
Psycho King II
MAD Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you kidding? If it weren't for recycled jokes, MAD would probably only be published once a year instead of six times a year.
16.gif

canucklehead
UberHoser

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always a few gags that make the rounds, so to speak, as you might expect with a 64-year-old humour publication. 16.gif

In one of the more glaring examples that I can think of, writer Josh Gordon used the phrase "been there, done him" in three different TV spoofs over a 16-month span. It came out of Sean Hayes' mouth in "Wilt & Craze" (#390, February '00), was uttered by Michelle Williams in "Dudson's Geeks" (#392, April '00), and then emerged from the lips of Kim Cattrall in "Sluts In the City" (#407, July '01).

Another joke from the Gordon-penned "Wilt & Craze" - "We went fishing!" "Catch anything?" "I hope not!" - also showed up in Arnie Kogen's Brokeback Mountain parody (#465, May '06).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MAD Mumblings Forum Index -> Vintage MAD All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: