MAD Mumblings MAD Mumblings
Extending MAD Magazine's presence on the World Wide Web.

Home :: Forum :: Gallery :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register

Old MAD Superman Image Challenge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfuite
Clod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Old MAD Superman Image Challenge Reply with quote

I teach university level physics, and I want to use an old image from a MAD magazine I saw when I was a kid, say mid-seventies, as a demonstration.

I have a vision of the large, perhaps full- or half-page, single frame cartoon without text in my mind: Alfred E. Neuman is dressed as Superman, lying relaxed in a hammock, except that the hammock strings are in turn supported by being tied to the thumb of his one up stretched arm. Thus the image is humorous through paradox because we see him simultaneously: 1) lying down "relaxed" in a hammock, 2) holding up the hammock strings with one raised arm, and 3) floating in mid-air without external support.

Christopher Reeve's Superman movies appeared circa 1978 and 1980, and I know MAD magazine liked to spoof movies. So ponder the issues spanning that era. I would truly appreciate any information on how to track down and acquire this image. I know I would use it in-class as a counter-example for years to come. Thanks in advance for any efforts and expertise.

P.S. - Unfortunately, I also liked Cracked magazine back then, so I cannot guarantee that the image was not of Sylvester P. Smythe instead, but I doubt it.
caseyk27
Clod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cover you're looking for WAS indeed CRACKED and not MAD. It was the July 1979 issue!

http://www.satiregallery.com/cracked/html/regular_cracked_1979_3.htm
jfuite
Clod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly appreciate your attempt, but, alas, that is not the image. Actually, I have a strong hunch the picture I seek was not cover art. I remember it as a black and white line drawing.

Your image shows the "flying" superman character supported by ropes tied to overhead objects. The image I seek is special (particularly from a physics perspective) because the character is self-supporting as described in my first post.

If anyone else knows of the image I seek, then please tell me.
pkpaul
Clod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Old MAD Superman Image Challenge Reply with quote

The attached April 1970 cover of MAD has no Superman but does have a similar paradox.
Is it what you were looking for?

pk

mad cover paradox april 1970.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  212.43 KB
 Viewed:  101 Time(s)

mad cover paradox april 1970.PNG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MAD Mumblings Forum Index -> Vintage MAD All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: